Alibi (2266 Wilton Dr., Wilton Manors), an institution in the South Florida gay scene, is celebrating seventeen years in business, and all of you are invited! The festivities start on Thursday, May 15, and go on all weekend through Sunday, May 18, with lots of great entertainment for partygoers to enjoy.
Alibi’s 17th anniversary weekend celebrations include performers that you know and love, special guests invited from out of town, and a few other surprises! Leave it to us to fill you in on all the details of this fun weekend. You’ll find an itinerary below:
- Thursday, May 15: Did you know that the first night of the anniversary weekend coincides with the second annual National Give Out Day? An interesting aspect of National Give Out Day is that it allows you to donate to any specific LGBT-related charity anywhere in the country. Hopefully this day will raise a lot of money for South Florida LGBT advocacy non-profits. Alibi is involved and you get a free T-shirt and other goodies if you donate at least $10 on Thursday between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m.
- Friday, May 16: Special guest Roxy C. Moorecox is performing this evening, fresh off her London tour. Singer Boy George once complimented her by saying she “pulls Adele off to perfection!” She will be singing live and impersonating Adele this evening, in addition to other celebrities. Roxy has been known to impersonate Liza Minnelli, Reba McEntire, Dolly Parton…even Adam Lambert! The Huffington Post has named Roxy one of the funniest drag queens in America, and as a testament to her excellence, she was actually invited to perform as Adele during last year’s London Pride. She has also performed back home in North Carolina at Charlotte Pride six times, and was an entertainer at the 2012 Democratic National Convention in Charlotte.
- Saturday, May 17: At 7 p.m. the management will be giving rings to employees who have worked five years at Alibi. Congratulations to the ring recipients: David Haynes, David Rodriguez, Byron Richardson, Stuart Berg, Ron Cox, Helder Gurgel, Eric Nyman, and Ryan Deutscher. Also being presented are the Alibi Star Awards, to exemplary employees (their identities will be kept a secret until the night of the awards). Come see the awards and get your Alibi anniversary T-shirt! If you wear a T-shirt from a previous year, you’ll win prizes! Jennifer McClain will be singing in the Manchester Room at 8, 9 and 10 p.m.
- Sunday, May 18: Closing out the anniversary weekend is the legendary Sherry Vine, who has come down from New York City just to help Alibi celebrate its birthday. She will bring her cutting wit and her penchant for hilarious spins on your favorite songs to the Main Stage with one performance only, at 9 p.m.
- SPECIAL GUEST AT BILL’S: Roxy C. Moorecox, the talented entertainer that graces the stage at Alibi on Friday, will perform at Bill’s Filling Station (2209 Wilton Dr., Wilton Manors) on Saturday at 10 p.m. on their Main Stage. Nikki Adams will be hosting and performing as well. Be there because it’s a night you’re not gonna want to miss!
I was lucky to have the chance to talk to Director of Operations for Alibi and Bill’s, Ron Woolery, about the upcoming anniversary and the talent that will be entertaining everyone this weekend.
Alibi is celebrating its 17th anniversary and Bill’s has been in business almost 19 years. How does it feel to be a part of businesses that have been so iconic in the Broward County gay community?
It’s actually always been fun because not only am I working at one of the more premier places in town, where you eventually get to see most everyone, there are so many amazing people that work for us, as well. They are amazingly talented and dedicated people and they work hard.
I find Sherry Vine very entertaining. What I like about her show is that it’s so funny, you’ll laugh until your stomach hurts. She sings songs everyone knows and substitutes vulgar lyrics…I find it hilarious.